Prep Time: 15 min| Cooking Time: 45 min | Total Time: 60 min| Servings: 4 | Difficulty: Easy
In the movie Ratatouille, Pixar succeeded in making animated food almost as delectable as the real thing. By seeking the technical assistance of Thomas Keller, one of the world’s greatest and most meticulous chefs, Pixar gave the movie instant credibility to food lovers, critics and chefs around the world.
Ingredients for Sauce (Piperade):
- 1 can tomato paste (6 ounce)
- 180 ml water
- 0.5 onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 20 g Parmesan cheese
Ingredients – Vegetables:
- 1 small eggplant, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow squash, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or to taste
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or to taste
- 1 tsp sprig thyme
- 1 tsp sprig flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp bay leaf
- 20 g Parmesan cheese (for the top)
Preheat the oven to 190 °C/375 degrees °F.
Spread tomato paste into the bottom of a 2.5×2.5 cm/10×10-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with onion and garlic and stir in 1 tbsp olive oil and water until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Arrange alternating slices of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, red bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper, starting at the outer edge of the dish and working concentrically towards the center. Overlap the slices a little to display the colours. Drizzle the vegetables with 3 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Sprinkle with thyme leaves. Cover vegetables with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit inside.
Bake in the preheated oven until vegetables are roasted and tender, about 45 minutes. On the top sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bon apetit 😉